[Dailydrool] Holly on Apoquel as of today

AWoodrum awoodrum at clear.net
Mon Mar 31 18:21:10 PDT 2014

Thought I'd let everyone know that we started Sister Holly the Dolly on
Apoquel, the brand new allergy medication, this morning.  Holly's allergies
are not as bad as Marlene's Maggie's allergies, but they're still bad, and
got a lot worse last year.  I think her age (14) has at least something to
do with it.  Anyway, the Vet wanted to try this rather than the Temeril-P,
which does have a small amount of steroid in it, because Holly has to take
the allergy meds from March of each year through about the middle of
October, and then again for a couple weeks around Thanksgiving, when the
cedar-elm trees shed their pollen.  She said that's a long time for her to
be taking a steroid every day.  So we're going to try the Apoquel for a
while and see if it works for Holly.

It's dosed by weight (Holly is always 38 pounds), so she gets 8 mg twice a
day for two weeks, then we reduce to 8 mg once a day.  We went to see the
Vet this morning and I gave Holly her pill when we got home, then she gets
another tonight, so we will watch and see what happens.  And we will report
in and let everyone know how it's going.

Sorry to everyone who has lost a hound recently, there have been way too
many.  Mama has been having a bad last couple of weeks and got behind on
sending condolences, but we have shed a tear with each of you, and send our
lub and lots of healing drool and soft snooter kissies.

Anita Woodrum

awoodrum at clear.net