[Dailydrool] Drug Availability

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed May 7 05:35:27 PDT 2014

I worked in an Animal Hospital, too. At various times we were unable to get
Prednisone, Euthanasia solution, cancer drugs, Adequan, and those are just
the ones I remember because the ramifications of NOT having them was
enormous.
The reason we could not get them??? Who knows? The manufacturer whimpered
that the machines were down, that the ingredients unavailable, whine this
whine that.

The upshot is that the Vet or Dr cannot get the needed medications. The
higher the demand, the higher the price can be. Imagine having cancer and
being on a protocol and being told "We can't continue because I cannot get
your drugs."
What would pay to get ahold of those drugs? This has happened. The
manufacturer simply stops making the drug and when the machines are fired
up again the demand (and price) is astronomical.​

I, of course, cannot prove that it is done in order to drive up the price,
but it seems to follow that pattern.

So don't yell at the Vet when she says she cannot get what you need because
it is not available. She is just as upset about it as you are. It is not
fun to try to euthanize someone's beloved pet without the proper drugs.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Doc