[Dailydrool] Availability or lack of Drugs

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Fri May 9 05:56:14 PDT 2014

This came to me and I am sending it along-- this explains the inability of
people to obtain the necessary drugs from time to time: Thanks to Elaine
for sending this:
​ Atteberry, Elaine
7:47 AM (5 minutes ago)
 to me

There has been an ongoing shortage of stupid stuff like normal saline for
ages, where we would normally spike a bag and have it ready(hospital
setting)…no longer/Digoxin which is/was the stable medication for
congestive failure has spiked in price. It used to be on the 4$ list, now
has a 3 month cost of over 100$ to the patient…with insurance.

Theory as to why, FDA and a certain government group control what
medications pharmaceutical companies can manufacture. Each plant has
mandatory down time for maintenance etc or there can be other
issues-weather,fire, etc…this is not accounted for and therefore we have
shortages. Like the saline the shortages are absolutely crazy and the
providers be human or animal are at the very whim of the system.

Feel free to pass this information along, I have not figured out how to
post on the drool.

Elaine Atteberry MSN RN

Case Manager Nephrology and Kidney Transplant

TVC 8407

Office 343-0573

Fax 322-0166

Pager 835-5152