[Dailydrool] Nigel

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sat May 10 11:54:42 PDT 2014

This is a good post. No seizures, no nothing. This morning I was feeling
exceptionally good and it was lovely out and I went to the Farmer's market
and on the way back passed the soccer field at the Jr High and an idea
began to form in my strange little brain.

I came home and dug out the tracking flags, the harnesses, the articles and
some cheese. I went back to the soccer field and laid about a 300 yard
track with turns and I put a little bait out just in case.

I came back and got Nigel, the steps to get him in and out of the Van, and
his cart. Also Conley.

Nigel, before he went down in the rear, was already titled in tracking and
working on his TDX and VST.He was a phenomenal tracker and loved it
passionately. It has been two years since he went down, two years since he
tracked.

I got him out of the Van and he looked confused. I got him in the cart and
just about then he turned and saw the first flag. Nothing wrong with his
memory. I barely got the lead on before he made it to the start, inhaled
the scent and took off. He was so excited. He blew one turn but came right
back and found it. He ate some of the cheese but was too excited to wait to
eat the rest. He went through knee-high water pulling that cart and hustled
right along to the end where he got maxim praise, shouts of joy,
side-thumps and kisses.

Then I took Conley on another track, shorter, more cheese, one turn.
Admittedly he has not tracked more than once or twice and now I remember
why. He has no work ethic. Well he may, but not for tracking. Constantly he
turned to look at me and ask "Tell me again why we're in the middle of this
field smelling grass?"

But the point is, that seeing Nigel so incredibly happy, so excited, so
motivated again, was good for both our souls. I had forgotten what fun it
was, and how proud he could be. What a good dog he is, and how hard he
tries. We'll be doing it more often, even if he isn't eligible for another
title.

MomPerson to Nigel the Nose, Conley, Llewis and Doc