[Dailydrool] Not vaccinating

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Mon May 19 20:39:55 PDT 2014

All of our dogs are over 7 and we no longer give any of them shots other
than the required rabies shot (and we don't give THAT to the oldest, who
is 17). Our vet is comfortable with this -- possibly because he used to
have to come to our house to give them all. They don't go anywhere
except to the vet's office (probably the most virus and bacteria-laden
environment possible).

All except the 17-year-old had the 3-year rabies shot this year and one
had a reaction. First time we've ever had that happen. Recovered OK, but
a little scary. We would, however,  give boosters if they were younger
and-or we went to dog parks or waddles or whatever.

IMHO giving shots to dogs over about age 3 is (1) vet's way of at least
getting to see the dog once a year and (2) a money-maker.

Riche