[Dailydrool] Vaccinations

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at optimum.net
Tue May 20 07:21:33 PDT 2014

In my work with rescue, I have had people who did not vaccinate their
hounds. They claimed the dogs were mostly indoor dogs or whatever, so
they were not at risk.

It might seem like a nice idea, but you'd have to keep your dog in a
bubble to keep it really safe. People walk outside, then walk in your
house, bringing the possibility of disease with them. The dog goes out
and pees and poops (at least, I hope it does). Your dog will be at risk,
no matter what. My feeling is that the reason these vaccinations exist
is because of the dangers to dogs and humans that these diseases
represent.

If you do not want to vaccinate, have your vet run titers on your dogs.
It will cost about the same as the shot, but you will know if your dog
has enough resistance that it doesn't need the shot. Of course, if
resistance is low, you will still need the shot. But everyone will be
safe.

I'd love to skip shots with my dogs, but I also don't want to endanger
other dogs or even my own. If any of my dogs had a reaction to the
shots, of course that would be another matter entirely, but I would
follow my vet's advice on it.

We will all face some degree of risk in this world, but I see no reason
to increase it unreasonably. If we all stopped vaccinating, we could
have rabies become much more common--but since most towns insist that
you do rabies shots, you'll at least have to go with that one, unless
you have a titer.

Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets