[Dailydrool] Working at Home with a Basset

Rebecca Louise Stanton pummorse at hotmail.co.uk
Wed May 21 02:57:59 PDT 2014

 For the last year I have been able to work from home, and I now share the sofa with Morse every day for work purposes.   I think in his own way he is happy with this arrangement as we are in each other's company 24\7.  As I say, I think he is happy with this, but sometimes it is difficult to tell.  Maybe the fact that I am home all day I possibly interrupt his evidently much-needed sleep?

We settle on the sofa in the morning and he takes a while to decide where to sit, and there is a lot of huffing and puffing going on while he decides which end of the sofa is best.  My computer\headphones\drink\cushion\back support all then have to shift accordingly and make way.  This morning  however, after only about an hour of typing, I noticed The Look on two occasions.  I gave a belly rub and things seemed better.

But half an hour later and we are obviously Making A Point.  He jumps down from the sofa (amongst a cloud of basset hair as it is that time of year, and that wonderful Basset Odour) and settles onto the floor in front of me, although he has manages to lie in a spot on the rug where he can have full eye contact with me, and I keep seeing these red, accusing eyes glaring at me.   Finally he gets up and manages to get tangled up with the computer lead, thus standing at my feet looking unseeingly and blandly ahead of him until I de-tangle his feet.  The purpose of this however then becomes evident.  He wants up on the sofa again, and he tells me this by putting his chin ingratiatingly on the sofa, which means "help me up".  Down goes the computer again, headphones off, and I assist.  This time though he has decided on lying at the other end of the sofa (of course) so once I prop the pillow under his chin, I move my cushion, back support, computer, headphones and drink, and we appear to be sorted.  Until he gets restless in maybe another hour :))

Becky (typing furiously), Morse (zzzzzzz) and Pumbaa ATB (sausages)