[Dailydrool] Rimadyl

Carol Yokum racetrcker at aol.com
Fri May 23 22:41:12 PDT 2014

Hi,

Are there any droolers out there that give their bassets Riladyl on a daily basis?   Our Maddie, who will be 9 in July, was crying in her sleep and having trouble getting moving at times.   Her vet put her on Rimadyl, after doing the necessary bloodwork to make sure her liver and kidneys were ok, and it did seem to help her a lot.  After her next checkup he recommended keeping her on it and having he blood tests done again in six months to moniter her.    She takes 100mg daily with dinner.  Her dad was worried about her being on it for an extended period of time and so a few days after she saw the vet we stopped giving it to her (and told the vet's office that we had done so).   Now about two later she is starting to moan and cry a little while sleeping.

If anyone's basset is on a Rimadyl regime, are you worried about possible side effects?   Or is it worth it to have them be comfortable all the time?   We want her to be free from pain but also not worry about possible side effects of long-term treatment.

I've gotten so much help previously from all of you that I'm sure you'll come through for me again!

Carol (and Maddie)