[Dailydrool] Blue Bassets - an owner's perspective

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Wed May 28 17:50:53 PDT 2014

I noticed a recent topic here on the DD has been blue bassets. As the proud
momma of a rescued Blue Basset, I assure you that they make AMAZING pets!
My Joey Hound also makes quite a stir at basset events, as he does tend to
stick out like a large, gray, sore thumb. It's true that they do have some
added health concerns, such as skin issues. Joey has what's referred to as
CDA (Color Delusion Alopecia) and is bald on his 'blue' spots. However, not
ALL bassets (or any blues of any breed) will be guaranteed to develop CDA,
some are just fine. I've also run into folks who report that their dogs
were pups from one or more 'blue' parents (where the breeders were
unfortunately trying to breed for the blue color, as they're 'rare' & they
thought worth more money). Sadly, in these cases the poor pups often do
have some sort of skin ailments as well.
In my Joey Hound's case, we give him melatonin 2x per day (apparently it
helps w/hair growth in dogs, who knew? Or at least that's what the vet told
the rescue) & he has a nice set of coats & hoodies for the winter & some
spray on sun tan lotion for the summers. It costs us a few $$ a month to
care for this. Now, he also has glaucoma, however that's incredibly common
in bassets & chances are not at all linked to him being a blue basset.
Also, we took him on a grain free diet that was holistic grade food &
surprisingly he regrew some hair! It's a different consistency, baby fine
instead of the thick, course white fur, but it's there & he's got way more
of it than when I rescued him (7 years ago next week). However, several
'non-blue' dogs of all breeds also have skin allergies, or food
sensitivities that can cause skin irritations, etc. The blues seem to just
have the 'bald' trait a bit more so than the others do, but that's a
consideration with any breed, so it would be hard to say that a blue dog
would cost more in vet upkeep & care than a non-blue dog would.
It's a shame that some breeder do specifically breed for the blue coloring,
as just like any recessive trait, it's unpredictable & some interesting &
unique side effects can occur, however these dogs are by no means
defective! They're AMAZING pets! I've only seen a handful of other blues
(there was a blue bagel in a rescue out east somewhere & I nearly made off
w/a 'mini Joey' when visiting some folks in AR about 2 yrs ago.) I wouldn't
hesitate to rescue one again at all. Though, from my understanding, the CDA
usually doesn't manifest until around 2 yrs old or so (didn't have Joey as
a puppy, that's just what I've read on-line & heard from other blue
owners), so it's also impossible to tell if a blue puppy will have any sort
of issues. But, they do occur naturally, just are really rare, like blue
eyed bassets & long haired bassets (which are also gorgeous mutations as
well!)
Sorry for the long ramblings, having a 'freak of nature' dog for a pet, the
spiel about how awesome pets blues can be becomes second nature. :) I would
tell folks who adopt them (hopefully not 'buy' them, as we need fewer bybs
& puppy mills & those are the breeders who're likely to try to actually
breed for the mutation, so they can get more $ for 'rare' puppies) not to
hesitate! Just to do some basic research & understand what they were
getting into first. (And, if they do develop CDA, we can tell them where to
get basset coats & hoodies cheap that fit hounds! hehe). Just our 2 cents
worth.

--
-Karrie, momma to Joey & Emma, with Slater (ATB), Aunty to Checkers, Domino
& Crispin (wb)

Joey's dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/637473