[Dailydrool] Colt & Ruger Update

Michele S. wickedfoxybear at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 19:18:13 PDT 2014

Hello droolers. No we have not fallen off the face of the earth, but have become immersed into life on the farm. I have gotten woefully behind on reading the drools and of course I have been negligent on posting. Time just seems to get away from me now and when I do take time or get some time I would rather spend it with the hounds. With spring comes the busy season on the farm, taking care of calves, planting the garden, keeping the yard mowed and weedeated...oh and throw in a 9 day visit from the parental in-laws. Hubby is still active duty Air Force and in Florida...so it is just me running the farm with some help from my dad. I'm not complaining...I am loving it here on the farm, even though I pretty much stay busy from sun up to past sundown. Anyhow enough about me.
As most of you know Colt was diagnosed in September with Lymphoma. Colt is now off of chemo. The one medication quit working, and the medication that we tried after that didn't work either. We now have him on Essiac Tea, and Prednisone. The Essiac Tea is an herbal Native American treatment that a Canadian cancer nurse used on terminal cancer patients back in the 1920's (I think that it was the 20's) with good results. My husband found the recipe, so I gathered up the herbs and started brewing it,and we are trying it with Colt. We are also continuing his vitamin supplements, and increased protein diet. He is doing pretty well right now. He is eating and drinking good. He is bright eyed, happy,and seems to feel pretty good most days. He has had a couple of days that he didn't feel very good, but we have contributed those to other things....like eating some lava rocks. When he has had a bad day it just looks like he doesn't feel good in his eyes, and he wants to be in the same room with me but not to close to me. He does seem to get warm and start panting quicker then Ruger...but he always was a warmer natured dog. He still enjoys his walks but gets tired quicker....but wants to finish his lap around the main property. He will plant is big ol' feet and refuse to go the direction in order to cut his walk shorter. So we go where he wants to go...be it a little slower. He is still eating good, and demanding belly rubs. Loves it when Grandpaw comes to visit, or anyone comes to visit for that matter, but he does love his grandpaw. His eyes are bright and still has that twinkle. He does sleep a little bit more but that is also a summer thing with both of the hounds. He and Ruger love to go out and hang with me on the back patio to survey their kingdom and to watch their cows graze. They also enjoy being tied out under the maple tree to supervise me feeding the calves. Which we now have 2 (one 2 1/2 month old heifer and one 1 month old bull calf, ohhh and we have a year old steer too. It is all about his quality of life and as long as that is good then all is well in the Universe, and we are blessed each and every day that he feels good and is a happy boy. He and Ruger love to go out and play nuzzle noses through the fence with Gertrude and Mr. T-Bone. Especially Colt and Gertrude. Colt loves his little heifer. I haven't gotten them out to introduce them to the Rumpous yet (the bull calf), he had been little and a not as sturdy on his hooves, but he is a lot better now with some TLC. We will try to do introduce the hounds to him maybe this afternoon. So far the boys are not having any allergy trouble up here in IN. But I have the Atopica, Zyrtec, and Gold Bond Powder at the ready...just in case.
Michele, Colt & Ruger at Howling Hound Acres
Women are Angels...And when someone breaks their wings..They simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...They are flexible like that...