[Dailydrool] Calendar hounds

Sherrilyn panama_jacques at yahoo.com
Sat May 31 08:03:42 PDT 2014

The May 31 hounds on your DD calendar are Isabella and Lola. I've been doing more lurking than writing the past few years, so many may not know or remember their story.

I met Isabella 5 years ago today. After Pw. Jacques (of Panama and Colombia fame) died, I knew I wanted another hound, but wasn't sure if any rescues would be willing to let me adopt a hound because of my transient life. However, Auntie Dawn of the West knew I would provide a good home, and so she agreed to match me up with a Daphneyland hound. But how would I meet up with this hound?

Enter Auntie Suz, who was living in San Antonio at the time. She was adopting Holly Noelle from Daphneyland, and she very generously agreed to pick up Isabella at the same time and foster her for me until I passed thru Texas on my way to Mexico and picked up Isabella. The Daily Drool is an amazing community where people who have never met in real life completely trust each other and go out of their ways to help one another!

I can't believe 5 years have flown by since the day I met Isabella and Holly Noelle and Aunt Suz! I was lucky enough to have been sent to training in Texas, so I got to spend some time with all 3 before my actual move to Mexico a month or so later. I had been worried about just meeting Isabella and sticking her in the car for a 2-day road trip, so the chance to spend some time with her ahead of the journey was a real bonus.

Isabella is a sweet love bug. She's super soft and wants nothing more than to climb on your lap and have you pet her for hours at a time. When we went to the Michigan Waddle a few years ago, I lost track of Isabella for a long while. When I finally found her, the admirer she was with told me "I've just had the best time with your hound! She let me pet her for almost an hour!" Yeah, she "let" you. bwaahahahaha! Isabella knows how to work a crowd!

The other houndette on the calendar today is Lola. Isabella and I had been in Mexico for about 6 months when the vet where I boarded her called to tell me that one of Isabella's friends--a basset--had been abandoned by her family and needed a new home. I wasn't sure I wanted to be responsible for two hounds, but after considering it for a week or so, I told the vet I would take the basset.

I will tell Lola's story separately.

Sherrilyn