[Dailydrool] Ruger & Xander Update

Michele S. wickedfoxybear at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 6 15:49:11 PST 2014

Hello drool family. First let me send heart healing drool to all of those whose precious hounds have made their journey to the Rainbow Bridge. We send healing drool to all of the hounds and humans that are sick or injured. We hope that all are healing and back up on feet or paws soon. Things are slowing down here at Howling Hound Acres. Ruger and Xander are doing well and enjoying the cooler weather which means longer walks and sniff abouts around the farm. The boys were feeling exceptionally froggy today chasing each other through the house several times throughout the day. They are getting along very well. We have a couple of issues that we are working with Xander on. 1. Keeping him from end table cruising. Meaning: You can't leave any food or drink on the end table next to the couch. Or the moment you get up and leave the room he is slurping it down. You can't even go to the bathroom!  This has been difficult for me to train myself to pick things up anytime that I get up. Colt and Ruger hardly ever got into anything unless we specifically gave it to them. 2. Leash training. He does great on the leash until he gets on a hot scent trail. Then he pulls like a mule team. With us being out in the country on a farm surrounded by woods there is always fresh scent making it extremely difficult to curb the scent hounds natural born tracking enthusiasm. 3. Slowing his eating down. He eats sooooo fast!  Dyson Animal Vacuums don't suck food up that fast!  I have tried everything that I can think of. I separate him and Ruger, I have tried the muffin pan (which made it worse) I thought that after a few months of not having to compete for food that he would naturally slow down, but that has not happened. Not sure what else to do?  I know that eating that fast is not healthy. But Xander is a rescue, we were told that he was one of 7 dogs in the family that surrendered him to rescue. He seems to be in the mind set that whoever eats the fastest gets the most.  If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it. If you would like to see the hounds, the moos and the rest of our farm look us up at Howling Hound Acres. It is a community page so anyone can go check us out.
Hugs to all.
Michele, Ruger, Xander at Howling Hound Acres and Colt ATB
Women are Angels...And when someone breaks their wings..They simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...They are flexible like that...