[Dailydrool] HMS Santa Rosa salutes Babe & Boomer forever posting ATB

lea pierce leapierce at leapierce.com
Mon Nov 10 12:56:24 PST 2014

​HMS Santa Rosa officers & crew were in shock hearing of the sudden posting
of Shannon's Babe and Boomer to the Bridge last Thursday and Friday.

Ahrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! the crew howls with Shannon in grief.

We do not understand, we cannot, how any Brigade can be asked to give so
much, so quickly.

But we wonder. Perhaps the Dogmander in Chief has a special mission
requiring 2 Hounds Glorious of unquestioned bravery, courage, and
dedication?

That would be Babe and Boomer, faithfully accompanying Shannon in his
earthly battles.

But we do not know. We cannot.

Houndservant, ever a student of history, is reminded of Theodore Roosevelt
of Rough Riders fame. Whilist a young man--before going West or becoming
Secretary of the Navy, President, or the many honors and glories of his
extraordinary life--he was both young husband and adoring son. Yet on one
unimaginable day, February 14 of 1884, both his beloved wife and dearest
Mother died within hours of each other.

Was this part of a greater plan?

We do not know; we cannot.

These examples are shared not to advocate lemonade out of lemons, nor to
diminish our present loss by comparison; words echo hollow in the face of
every terrible, inexplicable loss.

No, history only helps remind us that intolerable grief visits every great
heart that loves completely and without reservation. The kind of love you,
Shannon, have for your hounds.

Yet... somehow we muddle through.

We muddle through sipping from the well of memory;
We muddle through anointed with Drool from friends far and near;
We muddle through with faith that a greater service awaits all of us.

We will all be posted to the Bridge by-and-by. It is the natural trajectory
of every life, tho' we shake our fist and howl...
​
Whilst the sun once again slips into the Pacific and darkness falls on our
night patrol, out of the corner of our eye we glimpse not 2, but a trio of
bassets.

Ah! Of course. It's Arnie, still Awful Awnry, directing traffic as Boomer
and Babe emerge from the darkness into the light.

Ahroooo!
Ahroooo!
Ahroooo!

​​We salute Shannon and his faithful service; from love to love his Brigade
passed graciously into into that sunlit field. Babe & Boomer & Arnie have
been called to their greater service and serve now in glory.

O! The pawty has begun anew! Happy howls and wuffs and soft snooter kisses
abound.

And who knows... Babe and Boomer may have Very Special Orders... perhaps a
3-hound Special Ops team is needed, and Arnie (being Arnie) decided he'd do
the recruiting.

We shall look for their bright, shining spirits when our Tour of Duty is
over. We serve with the sure and certain knowledge that every hound and
houndservant (and Hound Butler) will be united in that sunlit field.

​Leftenant Lea Pierce
for the HMS Santa Rosa
First Foster Foxy ("I'm in CHARGE!")
Recruits Jasper & Ruby ("It's a CRUISE Ship! Spaghetti and Meatballs on the
buffet last night!")
and... Claire the Trembling, Kitchen Beagle-In-Waiting​