[Dailydrool] Advanced Eyeballing

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 07:49:33 PST 2014

This is how I learned about eyeballing and it's consequences and to make it
Basset related I will say the dog in question lived with Bassets (mine) and
that I see it today in Conley and saw it often between Conley and Nigel
when Nigel was on four feet.

We went to the Nationals. Me and this Belgian. We shared a room with two
women, two bitches and another intact male. Everything was fine altho we
put up barriers to keep real contact to a minimum they of course took 3
seconds and learned to leap across the beds. For the first couple of days
everything was great.

The third morning the two males were going out to potty when they came to
the doorway. What had never been an issue somehow suddenly became an issue
and as we exited they looked at one another and it was all over: they were
trying to kill each other and they were quite serious about it. They were
also leashed so ending the fight was quick and emphatic. And then began the
hard core eyeballing. Luckily, they were so obvious that even we two owners
were aware of it. And because we had no choice, we had to live together
another 3 days, we began big-time rehabilitation. It involved the hardest
collar corrections we could muster along with a guttural roar THE INSTANT
the very very SECOND their heads turned to lock eyes. Both of us did this
together. We stood outside on that hillside and DARED the boys to look at
each other- go ahead: MAKE MY DAY. And being Belgians they got the message
within minutes.
Any head movement in the direction of the other dog got a vicious
correction, way more than I would normally have done because this was
absolutely not to be tolerated on any level.

By the time we were done we could walk the two males together. It was
hysterical: shoulder to shoulder, sometimes with a deliberate BUMP, they
walked perfectly evenly, no one an inch ahead-- and each dog had his head
turned away from the other dog.

But there were no more fights, either.

MomPerson to Conley (yeah? Just look in dese eyes, twerp) Doc (I seeya, see
me?) and Llewis (***sigh***)