[Dailydrool] Eyeballing, this and that

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 07:15:26 PST 2014

Eyeballing! Who knew....I'm going to have to look for that. Suzy and Ginger
get into it every now and then but I can tell by body language. I have
never noticed what their eyes look like. Probably because I'm too busy
trying to break it up! Suzy will get this body pose of stiff legs, tail
straight up and she starts circling which, of course, Ginger responds to
and then everything goes downhill from there unless I intervene. Then they
are separated for a good long time. Baby gates are wonderful! Most of the
time I don't have a clue what got them going but we do keep a good watch on
both of them for a few days afterwards. And then it's done for months. I'll
never be able to figure it out.

Toby is six months old now and still very timid. Several people have
suggested we go to a training class. Honestly, I don't give a rip about the
manners and that stuff. He's still young enough that the Houndettes haven't
convinced him that he can ignore me and get away with it! I am hoping that
the trainer can give us some tools to make him more comfortable when
meeting strange people and dogs. Right now he hides behind me or, when
we're at home, runs and hides. Yesterday my daughter left her mastiff with
us for the weekend and Toby blessed everything when she started to pet him.
Even though she doesn't live with us, they are both here very often and
he's still scared so it's time to at least try and fix this. It took me a
few phone calls to find a situation that I'm comfortable with because I
really do believe in positive reinforcement training and also wanted to
find someone who was at least vaguely familiar with bassets. So wish us
luck! This is going to be a new experience for us! We start on Monday.

It is COLD here in NC! 26 degrees when I let everyone out this morning! The
hounds all informed me that they are southern hounds and do NOT approve of
this northern type weather! Wonder what they would all do if we lost our
minds and moved back the NY!!! Of course Sasha, the mastiff, loves it! She
is so huge and absolutely hates the heat.

Toby and the Houndettes are slinging lots of get well and heart healing
drool to all in need along with prayers of peace from me. I'm hoping Elder
Clara will shut the bridge gates for a bit now. Too many losses.

Jane, Toby & the Houndettes
Shadow, Suzy & Ginger