[Dailydrool] Comfort & Joy

lea pierce leapierce at leapierce.com
Sat Nov 22 18:41:12 PST 2014

​Sue writes...

"It is so comforting to come home to the dog routine, which has not
changed. It seems like everything else has changed.  Even the things
everyone talks to me about.  Always about the illness and hospital!  Once I
get home at night, I just snuggle with my doggies."

In 2011-2012 when I was putting in a lot of time in various medical
facilities, hospitals, and ICUs with my partner, I did not have a good
snuggle dog to come home to.

I had Claire the Trembling (who trembles rather than cuddles, doG bless her
terrified little heart) and an aging Samoyed, Buster, who was more about
looking regal than being a comfort hound.

Since diving into the World Basset Union, Pacific Basset Feet, yadayada, I
have come to the conclusion that if I could just bottle the smell, feel,
and furry, mushy goodness of bassets, I could probably go a long way to
achieving world peace.

Or whirled peas. One or the other.

So, huzzah, huzzah for bassets who cuddle Sue on those difficult and lonely
nights of exhaustion, worry, and hope. They help us stay present, don't
they, these wondrous beasties?

And doG bless you, Sue, in the coming days and months. Like the hounds, you
are faithfully present. It is hard to believe, but that is often the most
important--and difficult--thing we can do for those we love.

In Drool I Trust

Lea Pierce
HMS Santa Rosa and all that drool...​