[Dailydrool] Knowing when it's time

Tina dzantrofski69 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 10:31:01 PDT 2014

Hi all.  I don't post often but I have a situation that I would like some advice on.  I have 3 dogs.  Millie is my 13 year old lab, Buddy is a 10(?) year old mixed breed and Reba is a 7 year old Bassett.  Millie has been losing her sight and hearing over the last couple years and is now completely deaf and blind.  Because she cannot see or hear, she bumps into things A LOT, including the other 2 dogs.  Buddy doesn't mind and will move if he sees her coming.  Reba, however, has decided that she doesn't want to be stepped on anymore.  She started just growling at her and somehow Millie must feel the vibration because she would stop, sniff and turn in another direction.  Lately, however, it has escalated to the point that she actually bit Millie on the nose.  We now keep them separated by a gate when we aren't home but if we leave the room and Millie gets up to find us, she will get snapped at by Reba.

This is my dilemma...Millie is 13.  She is blind and deaf.  She pretty much eats, sleeps and poops and that's it.  My husband thinks she is happy because she will wag her tail when you pat her but I never met a lab who didn't!  I love this dog.  We rescued her when she was 7.  I feel that her quality of life is pretty crappy now and how alone she must feel when she can't find her people or is being bullied by her dog sister when she tries.  We do keep them separated but, again, what quality of life is that if she's alone most of the time when we are working.  I'm not sure what to do.  Do I continue keeping them separated and pray there is no more bloodshed or do I listen to my heart which is telling me it's time to release her so she can see, hear and play again?  I hate having to make these decisions.

Tina and the crew in Mass

Sent from my iPad