[Dailydrool] Prozac

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 05:04:12 PDT 2014

I have some experience with giving prozac to humans and dogs. First off, it
isn't a terrible thing for everyone. My mother has been on prozac for
years. When she is on it she acts like a normal human being. Without it,
she is a screaming maniac that throws thing at her children no matter how
old they are. I cannot begin to tell you how grateful we were when we found
out this miracle drug would stop this behavior in her.

Fast forward. I have had to put two dogs on prozac. I will admit that it
didn't help either one, but it didn't make them worse either. The first one
had a brain tumor. We put her on prozac, then we added trazadone. Then we
made the difficult decision to send her to the bridge. It got to the point
that no one alive was safe in our house. She just went nuts and attacked
dogs and humans. This was very difficult because she had a very sweet
personality before the brain tumor. Then the second dog. She was a rescue.
I am not sure what happened in her past, but prozac didn't help her either.
We had to put her down as well. It doesn't help when you go to the
behavioral clinic and the dog attacks the trainer.

Fast forward again. Bugsey's bio brother can be grouchy. He got to the
point where he was attacking all the other dogs in the house, but was
especially picking on the other much older male. His mom had had it. She
had him put on prozac. Now instead of attacking the other dog several times
a day it is down to once every 2-3 weeks. And it isn't as bad when it
happens.

If I were in Bev's shoes, I would sure try it. It most certainly doesn't
work every time, but it does wonders sometimes.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn the Fairy Princess