[Dailydrool] Insurance

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sat Oct 25 06:53:38 PDT 2014

When we first brought our Elsinore home back in 2004, I contacted VPI about insuring her. They wouldn’t take her because she was heart worm positive (and on medication to clear that up). They said it can lead to all kinds of heart issues later on in life. My vet said that’s not the case. VPI said, oh yes it is. Elsinore is now 12 or 13, and her heart is still pounding away with all its normal fury and might. She has soft-tissue sarcoma, however. Something that’s not at all heart related.

At the time, I asked the VPI sales rep if the company supports rescued pets at all. He assured me the company does. But then why, I asked, is it digging in its heels with the heart worm issue? Doesn’t VPI know that most rescue dogs, especially those in the South, must be treated for heart worm? He only repeated that the company doesn’t insure dogs with heart worm in their medical history. It’s a pre-existing condition they won’t touch.

The message I got from VPI was that it's only interested in insuring dogs whose entire medical history is known, puppies fresh from their litter. It’s not willing to take a financial risk with a rescue dog of with an unknown medical history. Of course, that was ten years ago. It may be the company has changed since then and is more open to insuring dogs like Elsinore. I certainly hope it’s changed to be more inclusive with its coverage.

After my fruitless conversations with VPI, we decided to put a chunk of money into a CD and call it the dogs’ emergency medical funds. Fortunately, with the exception of Elsinore’s tumor debulking surgery last summer, neither she nor young Charlie have had any serious medical issues. Just run of the mill UTIs, ear infections, and eyes irritated by allergies. Knock on wood.

Elizabeth