[Dailydrool] Cristal's Day 10/28/14

basset911 at aol.com basset911 at aol.com
Tue Oct 28 00:05:03 PDT 2014

Tonight after feeding, cleaning and singing 70 hounds to sleep, I did the ritual page turn on the Daily Drool Calendar, and WHAMO.  Cristal's Day.
I've been very "Synthia Sensitive" for a couple of weeks, working on a project and trying to formulate her Birthday memorial on 10/30 in my head before committing it to eternity on facebook... so seeing Cristal on today's page and flashing back to just over a year ago when Synthia got this photo, and days later had to send Cristal to the bridge was heart wrenching and started the faucets flowing.
Realizing that Synthia cannot post, I will do so for Cristal.

Cristal was one of those train wreck cases we see here at Daphneyland so often.  A lousy area, brought into the shelter, covered in so much grunge even our vet could barely touch her.
Our shelter coordinator rushed to get her, pneumonia and lumps and bumps, tumors and goop galore made this emaciated girl hard to see.  We did the hand off along the 210 freeway and I had but an hour to get her to the vet before the shelter's mandate for immediate vet care expired and we would be forced to return her for euthanasia.  Playing phone tag we randomly picked an exit and as I pulled into a shopping center - there was a sign - Daphney's Greek Restaurant.  Once I got a look at her - well, Julie and I rushed in and got her a meal - Lamb, rice and yogurt.  She WOOFED the meal.  She never stopped woofing.
Shortly after intake, Synthia arrived at Daphneyland intending to surrender her hounds and could give me no plans for her future.  I took her keys, made her sleep after a cross country trek, and we moved along.
Over the course of the next year and a half, we had dentals on Cristal, tumor removals, spay, and dealt with years and years of neglect.

Cristal was so named after the champagne, as she KNEW she was a Diva that had been living under junked cars.  Once she caught Aunt Melinda Capers eye, she had gifts monthly befitting a Diva.  When Synthia met her the gig was up. She had her own personal slave to stomp her foot at and force her to cook unimaginable delicacies.  Please understand, Synthia was a hot dog with catsup type of gal - cooking liver brownies, and the Daphneyland Diet was a bit out of the ordinary at first.  It became routine quickly.

The day Synthia left Daphneyland, Willy went with her.  It did not take long before Synthia was pining for the lovely Cristal, and she drove back to pick up her Diva girl.
Cristal's face book posts inundated us all - her foot stomping, diva ways were soon smiles and blessings.  A serious cyst that we had removed would not heal despite all of our efforts, and a tail amputation became necessary.  Yet Cristal continued her ruling of the roost until the day she decided to be her last.
Synthia had taken a part time job at Home Depot to meet locals in her new area, and she brought Cristal in dressed up as a nice Halloween display was erected the day before.  The giggles we had on her pushing Cristal in the cart and then Cristal's taking out most of Home Depot had us laughing for days!

Cristal is now with Synthia at the bridge.  I can only imagine the wardrobe she is demanding of her forever slave.  Can you see rainbow wings glittering under rays of pure sunshine?

Dawn of the West
Basset Rescue Network at Daphneyland
www.daphneyland.com
www.facebook.com/daphneyland
661 269-2682
Volunteers needed for Bath Day November 20, 2014! Sign up by email!
Daphneyland will be closed on Saturday November 22, 2014 as we film for an upcoming highlight of the Hounds!