[Dailydrool] more on $5 Friday hounds

Donna Lindy dlindy at mac.com
Wed Sep 3 12:05:46 PDT 2014

Just a reminder about $5 Friday coming up in a couple of days - again,
we are supporting 7 hounds with Hounds Haven BR.  This rescue has
about $6000 in vet bills they've incurred to get these dogs vetted and
they could certainly use our help.  Donations can be sent via paypal to

debbiesdawgs at icloud.com or if you prefer to send a check,

make it out to Hounds Haven BR and email me off list for an address.
We are accepting donations now through Sunday, September 7th.
In my last post, I forgot to mention that Moon Doggie Coffee is again
offering the $25 gift card to a lucky donor.  Drawing will be on Monday,
Sept. 8th.

Here's information on the other 3 hounds for $5 Friday (I posted about
the first 4 on Monday) . . .

Pictures of all 7 senior hounds can be seen here:

 https://plus.google.com/photos/111198151302443873829/albums/6049070274047234769?authkey=CLGXm6ikwOWHTg

Stumpy-Age 11.5
Stumpy came into HHBR In February of 2014.  His owner passed away and the family sought the help of rescue in the area.  The rescue took him and his beagle brother in but then moved them to a small rural county shelter who knew instantly the shelter was no place for Stumpy and contacted HHBR.  The initial email stated he was in poor health and needed a severe dental.  HHBR pulled the old guy and immediately took him to the vet, he had 8 teeth removed, a few fatty cysts and was placed in a foster home.  We learned immediately Stumpy suffers from severe separation anxiety L  When he is left his anxiety is a high concern and the foster home he was in worked a very long work day so he was moved to a foster home that has one other hound, works a job with hours that limit his being alone and she also has a very low key lifestyle and Stumpy has thrived here J  He is the hit of the dog park, and for 11 he runs harder and stronger than his 4 year old Basset Foster Brother J  He has had a few medical concerns and we have learned that he does have a severe heart murmur Grade 5/6.  We believe he has had it his whole life and it doesn’t slow him down and he has no symptoms of any heart concerns with his activity.  He does still suffer from very high dental disease and we are trying daily brushing and oral gel to try and help his teeth but he will have to undergo a dental within the next 4 months, we are just desperately trying to limit the amount of times he is placed under anesthesia at his age and with his heart disease.  He carries toys everywhere he goes, it seems to be a comfort thing for him J  He is crated  during the day and loves to snuggle and has his spot on the couch.

Will—Age 11 yrs.(almost 12—it counts J)
Will was surrendered to HHBR’s care due to his previous family moving to CA for a new job and the circumstances of the moving not allowing them to take Will along.  They had owned Will since he was approx.. 5 years old and rescued him from a shelter in NE Iowa.  When doing the initial connection with the previous owners they told us Will was a healthy hound and that he only needed some lump removals.  Upon doing the vet reference we learned Will is a Idiopathic Epileptic and has been on phenobarbital for over 4 years of his life.  His previous owners refused to do the recommended twice yearly phenobarbital level blood work so at numerous times Will would go without his phenobarbital.  He is stable in this disorder now and his levels of phenobarbital are regulated and at maintenance level.  The previous owners denied a highly recommended dental for 2 years and when Will arrived to us he was missing numerous teeth that most likely just fell out and had to have 5 removed.  He had a large fluid filled cyst the size of a softball on his hind end and numerous other lipoma’s and skin tags that needed removed.  He had also been denied routine senior blood work, thyroid tests, urinalysis, etc. and when we did these tests his liver results were a bit high so we were encouraged to test him for Cushing’s disease and all though those results came back in normal range at this moment the vet feels he is in the beginning stages of the disease and will need to have blood work recheck every 6 months.  He also came in with limited mobility in his rear legs and was unable to do a simply step up into the house.  He has been placed on Previcox for his arthritis inflammation.
In  Early in June we noticed Will was favoring his rear right leg.  Because he suffers from severe arthritis we took him in immediately and some mucoid looking fluid was drained off a mass on this leg.  That fluid was sent off for pathology but it came back inconclusive and Will's mass and limitation to movement returned quickly.  We had to visit Dr Brent Reimer at IVRC on Wednesday June 18th he underwent a mass removal.  This mass was sent off to pathology in its entirety and was diagnosed with Myxosarcoma Grade 1.  This type of cancer has a high chance of reoccurrence and we are unfortunately seeing the return of the mass in his rear leg L

Gertie-Age 8 years
Gertie was just surrendered to HHBR’s care when her previous owners were moving and not able to take Gertie into their new living environment L   Gertie is a special case as she was diagnosed with Bilateral Glaucoma back in 2011 and due to the costs of eye removal her previous owners chose to not treat or help her Glaucoma in any manner L   Gertie has to be one of the sweetest girls despite being in pain day in and day out and we have no doubt the girl is going to offer a forever family endless love when they come along.  In the meantime Gertie had both of her eyes removed on 8/18/14, she is morbidly obese at 75 lbs—courtesy free fed Ol’ Roy by her previous owners, she has a skin infection, her senior bloodpanel came back with elevated liver levels and she will need to have this rechecked in 1 months’ time, she has urinary tract infection, a yeast infection in both ears, 2 ruptured cysts on her front and back legs, she will need to have 6 teeth monitored for removal over the next 6 months’ time, she also has a parasite infection.

Thanks so much to everyone who has kept us going all
these months - we've raised just over $12,000 to help
the senior bassets in rescue with our $5 Fridays since
our first one in March of this year. How amazing is it that
our donations of $5 and more have accomplished that??
Debbie knows we won't stop believing!

Donna, drool fueler for Gracie, Bosley and Sunny