[Dailydrool] The dreaded flat basset

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 06:30:09 PDT 2014

Miss Mulligan is our "about" 3 year old rescue.  She is the fastest basset I have seen.  She is even faster than her brother "Guinness", winner of a basset derby (although almost disqualified for attempting to throw his jockey).  This morning, after being rudely awakened by yours truly, she very reluctantly went on her morning constitutional with her 3 older siblings.  It was very high tide so I didn't let her go all the way to the river.  On our way home, with the 2 six year olds leading the pack, Mully found a soft, long fluffy section of grass and lay down.  I knew I was in trouble when she went down on her side.  No amount of coaxing, pulling or bribing would get her to budge.  My husband took the older two and got them waddling home.  Guinness lay down with her, but grew bored quickly.  Hubby went home and picked up the golf cart.  Seeing said golf cart, Mully experienced a miraculous recovery and jumped aboard.  Guinness doesn't quite understand the golf cart concept.  I had to actually run home with him, chasing the cart, in the heat.  When they were out of his sight, he whined pitifully.  I can only imagine how much this entertained the neighborhood.  Mully: 2 points, nap and Golf cart ride.  Mom: 0

Sigh......

Sent from my iPad