[Dailydrool] blindness

Kathy Sexton kathleensexton at aol.com
Sat Sep 27 06:19:08 PDT 2014

Peggy,
Blindness in a Basset can be very manageable. If you think about it, of all the Senses that a Hound uses, their sense of Scent is the highest, then next is their sense of Sound.
My Basset, Roo, developed glaucoma and lost both eyes. In looking back, it was harder on us than it was on her.
My first suggestion is : Don't Move the Furniture !! A Basset will follow scents - so they leave their own trail throughout the house they can follow.
I found for the first 2 weeks after she became blind, I would spray Lemon Pledge on areas she needed to be aware of - like Stairs and corners. Maybe you could start that now...
If you see them nearing a situation that may be dangerous - we used to say 'Watch Out' - but in a Light & Happy voice - that way they know there is something to be aware of, but they are not being yelled at.
In the winter time, she was able to traverse the back yard, even in snow...she 'knew' how to get back.
She lived to a grand old 15 years old...I would adopt a Blind Basset in a heartbeat...
If you have ANY questions - or just need to talk - feel free to email me..
Kathy - along with the Bassets of Emily, Katie, and Ivy.