[Dailydrool] Blind Basset

Sally Russell sally at slokr.com
Sun Sep 28 07:36:49 PDT 2014

Before our Pixel went to the Bridge last May, we had two blind bassets who
lost sight as a result of glaucoma.  In 30 years, we had never had a blind
basset.

Browser at age five and Pixel at age 11 (she lived to almost 14).  They
both did very well and Browser (now 11), has everyone fooled as they think
he is sighted.

The most important thing we learned was to be upbeat around them, we were
certainly depressed.  Once we learned that they were enjoying life just
fine, we relaxed.

Browser never even bumps into our cars when we come back from a walk, even
though they are not parked exactly the same each time.   He either smells
the gas or hears something.

 The only problem we notice is when our newly adopted Shih Tzu, Sprite,
runs around him in circles.  Then Browser gives two loud basset barks and
Sprite backs off.

Bassets are highly adaptable to blindness and it is so much worse for their
people.

Sally Russell