[Dailydrool] Blind Bassets

lea pierce leapierce at leapierce.com
Mon Sep 29 21:21:58 PDT 2014

​The only blind basset I've had any experience with was Homer, a GGBR
rescue last year who became the hero of our 2013 Annual Appeal.

Homer was rescued from an intolerable situation chained in the desert out
by Sparks, NV. Thank DoG, a concerned citizen took action helped arrange
for the surrender. Homer had essentially been abandoned by his keeper, who
had a serious drug problem.

When he came to GGBR, Homer had been blind a long, long time from untreated
glaucoma. One eye was the size of an egg. The dog had to have been in
terrible pain for a long, long time. The best thing to do was remove both
eyes--he was blind anyway--so we did.

Homer did just fine, the whole way. He was a sweet boy on his long drive to
the California coast from Sparks, and he did great with his surgery. ​
​As soon as practical, ​
​he went to his foster home in Petaluma and quickly became a foster failure.

His new Mom reported that Homer adjusted to the new house and resident dogs
(2) beautifully. I saw him a couple of times in his new home. After he
learned the furniture, he got along just great. His new mom ​
​had steps up to the bed and he learned those first time out, too. He is
one of those snuggle-hounds who just loves to love on you.

I've always figured that as long as a hound can smell, they'll do just
perfect. They smell better than they see anyway, I think. Homer certainly
has that wonderful basset personality, totally loving.​
​ His Momma couldn't be happier, and our brave boy is thriving.

I've never had a blind basset but I would not hesitate a second if one came
my way! These bassets, DoGgone it, they are wunnerful beasties....

Lea Pierce
reporting in as a basset wrangler​