[Dailydrool] Fur color and health levels

Vikki Grauf via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Apr 13 23:19:23 PDT 2015

As I feel the readers on the Daily Drool are the best source I know of all things basset, I have a question that I have been wondering about for sometime.
In my life thus far I have had the joy to be owned by five bassets. The first three were tri-colors, and all had similar health levels. One by one they went to the Bridge.
The two I currently have, one is a tri-color, but the other is a red and white. I have never been owned by a red and white before, long story for another day.
Here's where the question is. Does different fur colors translate into different health levels? My tri-colors have all had allergy's like crazy, and I've had to adjust their foods accordingly. They've had minor problems along the way, which I've always ironed out. But my red and white has been a whole other story. He can eat anything, and he's fine. Even though I had him evaluated for allergies via a blood test, just because I did for my tri-color, even if he does eat something he tested positive for, he shows no ill effects, none. If the tri-color even LOOKS at an allergen, she starts to scratch.  Whereas the red and white could eat shredded card board, and be just fine.
So what ya think Droolers? Does fur color make any difference with health levels?Vikki