[Dailydrool] Fur color and health levels...

via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Apr 14 16:21:48 PDT 2015

Interesting question!...My two gentlehounds, Harley (~12 yrs. old) and Biggs (~11 yrs. old), are tricolor and my smoosh boy, Leo (ATB) was a red and white. Harley and Biggs have never had an ear problem from day one (adopted in 2004 and 2005 respectively), never shed, have iron stomachs, and have never had any real health issues. We know that Harley has a heart murmur, however. We adopted Leo at around 2 yrs. old in 2007 and he came fraught with problems (not the least of which was his lack of socialization which caused aggression). Poor darling was my "problem child"--he had terrible recurring ear infections in both ears for years (it was a long, expensive road to get them under control), he was hypothyroid, shed like crazy, endured recurring hot spots, had periodic bouts of pancreatitis, and just before he went to the Bridge in February (at 9 yrs. old) we found out that he had a heart murmur and in the ER vetspital he tested positive for Addison's Disease:( So, my experience is a completely different one with my Boys--the tricolors much more robust healthwise than my red and white. Now, one question I have always had is: do most red and whites seem to have a "kissy spot" (red spot of fur) on the top of their head?. Leo had one and I have seen many photos of red and whites with this same spot! :)

Mary, Harley and Biggs, with Leo and Puckwheat the kitty ATB
/..\