[Dailydrool] $5 Friday is May 1st!

Donna Lindy via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Apr 26 18:05:46 PDT 2015

Debbies Dawgs is having another $5 Friday event this
coming Friday. Our rescue this month is House of Puddles
who has 18 senior hounds and one coonhound in their care.
Sasha has been in the vetspital  for several days and is really
racking up a nice fat bill to add to the already high expenses
that Marilyn is currently dealing with so the Hoppers really need
our help.

Please paypal your donation of $5 or more to either
debbiesdawgs at icloud.com or to directly to HOP at
olddogs at houseofpuddles.org   Those concerned about
tax receipts should donate directly to the rescue. Checks
are welcome, too, and should be made out to House of
Puddles Inc and mailed to 4422 Reels Mill Rd., Frederick,
MD 21704

Now meet Zena and Ozzie - I wish you could see their
pictures; Zena is a beautiful mostly black tri color and
Ozzie is red and white and can really give you the stink
eye:

Zena (11 years old) and Ozzie (13), a mated couple, came from a home in Gettysburg, PA, arriving at HOP on 1/16/2015.  Their dad had been terminally ill for a long time.  His family had been looking for a new home for them for several months but he didn't want to let them go as long as he was still living.  I told them that HOP would hold a place for them until he was ready to let them go.  Zena & Ozzie also had a son, Max, 8 years old, who BROOD agreed to take.  When their dad went into hospice at the first of the year, his family started making arrangements for the dogs to be re-homed.  The dogs lived alone in the man's house for two weeks while transport was arranged, with the family stopping by to take care of feeding them.

Zena is one of the sweetest, happiest dogs I've ever had.  I've never heard a growl or seen a raised lip from her.  She loves to sleep on my bed at night and wakes me up in the morning with kisses and boundless energy, ready to get the day started.  Her vet expenses have been high, but worth ever penny.  Her teeth were in pretty bad shape.  Her dental required 10 extractions and the bill came to about $2200.  She also suffers from dry eye and an ongoing eye infection, so she is on daily medications for those.  She is in the early stages of kidney failure, so she is on a special prescription diet for that as well.  But Zena never has a complaint, she is just so happy to be here.

Ozzie is quite a contrast to Zena.  He has been the grumpy old boy right from the beginning.  When I picked him up at the transport meeting place, he wouldn't even let us put a leash on him.  We had to cover him with a blanket just to get him out of the car and into mine.  He's actually a sweet boy if all I try to do is pet him or scratch his back, but he snarls, barks and tries to bite if I try to mess with him in any other way.  He will actually come to me looking for pets and loves the gentle attention, but he's extremely distrustful and fearful of any other physical contact.  He spends most of the day sleeping in a crate or bed, but gets up a few times a day to walk around the inside of the house in circles.  Small circles in a room or big circles through the house, always in the same direction.  He even did it in the vet's exam room.  The vet ruled out any problem with ears or eyes, said it's a behavioral issue.  He hates to go outside, resists getting leashed up to let me take him out, and huddles right by the doggie door if I try to leave him outside for awhile.  So when he's on his walks around the inside of the house, I stop frequently to give him pets and scratches, but no hugging allowed!  If I had gotten Ozzie as a single basset, I would have thought he had been abused.  But since Zena is the total opposite, I guess Ozzie has some other psychological issues, maybe due to his age.  I think he wants love but is just afraid to receive it.

Tomorrow I will introduce you to Sasha, who thankfully is recovering when it could have so easily gone the other way.

Thanks,

Donna, drool fueler for Bosley and Sunny