[Dailydrool] Eating too Fast

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Aug 5 02:33:01 PDT 2015

I don't know if it really matters whether dogs eat by inhalation or take
their time. I had a horse who ate oats too quickly and would choke on wads
of half chewed oats and I would have to reach in and dislodge it or massage
his neck. Finally hit on putting large pieces of rock (too big even for him
to eat) in the pan and he had to slow down to eat around the rocks. He
still looked like a blimp but that wasn't his fault.
Anyway I know they make special pans to slow dogs down but the best methods
I have heard of involve muffin tins or scattering food on the floor and
making them work a bit to pick it up, probably not something you want to do
with another dog in the house.
When my dogs eat too fast they tend to regurgitate it and try again, not
something you want to encourage as it is usually when you have company just
sitting down to dinner. Another good reason not to entertain. (It is easier
than trying to explain.)
Dogs are such wonderful creatures, full of surprises.

MomPerson to Conley and Doc

​bgszap2 at gmail.com​