[Dailydrool] Gumbo and the e-collar adventures

Sabrina Nicholls via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Aug 10 10:40:30 PDT 2015

Gumbo has been wearing an e-collar since his eye surgery on Thursday. He wants to rub his eyes, and the vet cautioned me about the delicate silk sutures, so we have to keep it on. Gumbo can't get through the doggie door. But we've been having pleasant weather here in Southern California so we've been leaving the door ajar during the day. Saturday night after I closed the door, Gumbo wanted to go out. Ellie and I were on the couch. As I got up and took a step towards the door, Ellie launched herself off the couch, and I went flying over her. As soon as I got up, I knew I'd hurt my foot.

To feed Gumbo with his collar on, I've been putting a small bowl on a tall container and sitting on the floor to hold it and keep his e-collar under the bowl. When he finished, I couldn't get up. Try getting up with only one foot touching the floor. Sunday morning, I went to the walk-in clinic for an x-Ray. Fortunately, no broken bones, just a painfully swollen, purple foot. When I got home, I made myself a sandwich and sat down on the couch. Gumbo came by and rolled over for a belly rub. I saw two abrasions on his throat from the collar. I called the eye vet, and a tech returned my call. She said to loosen the collar one notch, put Neosporin on the abrasions, and try putting fabric between his neck and the collar. While I was tending to Gumbo, Ellie quietly ate my lunch.

Sabrina, Gumbo, and Ellie