[Dailydrool] this and that from Hawaii

Valerie via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Aug 17 15:41:28 PDT 2015

Aloha,
  it made my heart leap to see Bill Armstrong's post mentioning Commander Bo's and Harley's names among his friends. Thank you so much. I am still crying over their absence, can you believe it?Happy happy birthday, Siobhan.  i never knew how to pronounce your name till I wrote to Bill.
  Second, Friday is the day! this Friday our new hound, Mariah, flies to us from Daphneyland. I am so excited I can hardly sleep. our longterm naval houseguest (a foster but not exactly a foster), Mila, is still with us and I know she will be ecstatic to have a new playmate. It has been hard on her since Harley, her best bud, left for the Bridge. funny how things worked out. We applied for Mariah last November, thinking Mila would be home and Harley would be grieving by the time Mariah arrived and would need a new companion. Now Harley is gone, and Mila is grieving and bored and needs a new companion. Welcome, Mariah. You could not be more welcome.
  And, as washing the car brings rain, Hawaii has its first litter of basset puppies in a decade now. The father is the poor, outdoor,caged, howlingg hound I tried to purchase from a problematic owner way last January but she kept raising and raising the price ( up to $4000) and then Harley fell ill and we needed the money for his treatment.  Turns out "Bruno" landed on his feet, bless him, with a brand new owner who has a lady hound. Photos of the pair look as though Bruno and his mate are happy indeed, enjoying the outdoors and family life. I hope the owner will not overbreed them, and  I know it is poor form on the Drool to celebrate a hobbyist breeder litter, but there are so few bassets here and so many folks who want them (and it is so much work to import them) that a home grown litter is a happy occasion. (Mostly Hawaii has either pitbulls; a hunting combo of pit, whippet, airdale; or chihuahuas).  My own household is passing on the puppies. We will instead have the M&M's (Mila the houseguest and Mariah, our new forever hound) for however long Mila stays with us, and Mariah will be forever.
  Finally, I notice that Chris Bly has been dropping hints that with new and elderly  hounds arriving with medical needs, Western Missouri Basset Rescue could really use some help right now. (No, I haven't communicated with Chris before posting this, but I am a faithful Drool reader). So how about we put WMBR on the shelter challenge list again? I know Chris is too humble to ask for this herself, so I'll do  it for her. hi, Chris.
  So that's the news from sunny Hawaii. love you all, Val of Hawaii, Mila the longterm houseguest, and the soon to be coming Mariah. Woo Hoo!