[Dailydrool] Mariah of Daphneyland is in the air.

via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Aug 21 11:27:25 PDT 2015

Val has shared Mariah's back story; just as we were filming last Thanksgiving's Cause for Paws on Fox, this little waif came in, exposed to parvo and just a wee bit of a thing.  Val was just calling to ask if we would consider sending a hound to her and Bill in Hawaii, knowing the rabies issues in the Islands make adoption difficult.  Having done flights to many other rabies free zones (London, New Zealand, Australia, etc) that was not the biggest concern.  First we had to isolate Mariah (named after Tia Torres daughter and the windstorm on the day she came in - not to mention her resemblance to my Mariah as well as "The other Mariah Twin" of Marie in AK) to make sure parvo was not a factor.  If she blew parvo she would NOT have been a candidate.
30 days later we were clear to start the titer and hoops that Hawaii requires to obtain a Direct Release Permit.  In the midst of all of this continues the "Save the Ranch" crisis which we are still battling.

Mariah is as sweet as they come.  Although the shelter had assessed her at 3, it was apparent she was not.  She developed her chest bone while in our care, and her energy and antics were that of a 1 year old.  It always is an issue when non savvy rescue vets put an age due to dental staining.  Any pup that has had doxy will have chronic dental issues and staining, no one knows how much doxy can create this, and we look forward to the new specialty in veterinary medicine of: Shelter Medicine.  That will help resolve these issues!  Regardless, Mariah was the perfect girl to make Hawaii her home.  The tests and paperwork began and we have had to beat potential adoptive families off her for the last 6 months. EVERYONE loves Mariah, and she loves Everyone.  Total flirt.

Mariah filmed our youth video (Doggie in the Shelter on our youtube channel), participated in many youth education programs, therapy sessions and even spent all last week filming a super special project - one that we'll be able to talk about shortly, just suffice it to say Mariah is a Super Star.  Quite a change for a little about to be euthanized girl in Harbor Shelter.

Today was her big day.  She played all day yesterday saying goodbye to her pals and humans here at Daphneyland.  She got her bath, and came on down to snuggle her last night with me and some guests sleeping over. She could not make up her mind as to whom she wanted to snuggle with the most - so she went back and forth all night.  Up at 4 a.m. to get ready, eat and travel the Los Angeles Freeway nightmares, Mariah and I got to the airport just in the nick of time,  Her last piddle in California was on Century Blvd and is captured in this photo.  While on her "Piddle on California - I am following the sunset" journey, Mariah ran into another basset named Sebastian who is flying to Maryland today - she flirted and made friends as only she can do.

Mariah is in the air (and perhaps serenading a United flight to Kona) as we speak.
This human had to sit and cry for about 20 minutes before she could traverse back to Daphneyland - we are ALL going to miss her like you cannot believe!  It is always hard to send a hound to their new home, your heart glows that you saved the life and they will have a forever family, yet the tears flow when you realize you may never get to hug and kiss on them again.
Be well my beauty!  Conquer Hawaii, for we know you have a million stories yet to unfold!

Dawn of the West
Basset Rescue Network at Daphneyland
www.daphneyland.net
www.facebook.com/daphneyland
661 269-2682
Watch our hounds as they participated on FOX'S CAUSE FOR PAWS! Video is available on our website!  35 hounds prancing for the cameras!
Daphneyland is currently in crisis as we attempt to save the hounds home!  Please visit our fundraising page and donate and SHARE!
https://www.givinggrid.com/Daphneyland