[Dailydrool] Mulch as opposed to grass

Jennifer Martin via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Aug 27 22:48:20 PDT 2015

I have a few nightmare stories to tell about mulch as well. One year, there
wasn't any cyprus mulch, but they had some gorgeous cedar mulch. So we used
that around the deck in the backyard. Blitzen ATB was the queen of
sunbathing. Like I had to spray her with sunblock or she burned. Well, she
loved the mulch more than the deck. Shortly after hubby put in the new
mulch, she broke out in this horrible rash and then blistered. We had her
allergy tested (for many reasons, not just this one) and found out she was
majorly allergic to cedar. Pulling all the cedar out and putting in new
mulch wasn't exactly cheap. We have found that mulch has an incredible
amount of mold in it. So all the dogs with mold issues will have constant
problems. Yes, I think it is worse than the grass allergies which are
really only bad when it is pollinating. Plus, my dogs much prefer to dig in
mulch and eat it than grass. Mulch is a lot harder on the stomach. And yes,
the mulch harbors yellow jackets and spiders. Blitzen ATB was the worst
about eating them and then swelling up like a toad and having to be pumped
full of liquid benadryl and then rushed to the vet for further treatment. I
would set the timer for every 10 minutes to check on her in case she didn't
make it too the door after an attack. Sometimes I wonder what cruel twist
of fate gave that baby a brain tumor at age 4. Othertimes, I look at this
email and wonder if I could have done this for 13+ years without going
insane. Either way I miss her. She was always such a happy little clown.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess