[Dailydrool] how I fell in love with hounds

Jaime Brigance via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Aug 31 16:01:21 PDT 2015

Thought I’d share how I fell in love with bassets and hound dogs.
Early memory of an incident in 2nd or 3rd grade, I had never seen a bassetbefore.  I was waiting for the bus, when a truck pulled out and maybe 5 or 6 hounds got out.  All the kids were waiting to be picked up for the buses and parents, so everyone was lined up.  Those dogs were barking and chaos ensued.  Everyone wanted to pet them, and I did.  I thought that dog smelled like Corn Fritos, my favorite snack.  That memory and the whole funny scene is embedded in my head.
Then the movie Smokey and the Bandit came out in 1977 .  Jerry Reid played the man driving the semi truck and his dog was a big basset hound named Fred.  I fell head over heals in love with Fred.  When he went swimming and Reid had to go get him I laughed so hard I about choked. Fred rode in the semi truck with Reid and barked out the window.  It was more than funny, it was endearing.
Anyone else remember Fred in Smokey and the Bandit?
So it was planted in my heart early to want a basset hound.  I was in FL in 2000 spending 10 months with my son when I found Nellie.  I had no solid plans on getting a hound yet, but was up late one night on the internet and took a look at Suncoast Basset Rescue site.
Then I saw her.  A picture of Nellie.  She was looking directly into my eyes.  I fell in love with her instantly.  I sent an email and talked to Karen the next day and it took a little time to get her because she was healing from something that I don’t remember.  We met in a parking lot and she ran into my arms!  Oh, that moment lives in my mind.  My husband and I were standing there watching her get out of the vehicle and he was struck also.
Nellie was THE velcro sweetheart soul mate girl.  I know you folks understand when I say that they all are different.  Nellie had been badly abused, she feared brooms and anyones legs that kicked around her.  If I even kicked a pinecone out of the way on the sidewalk walking her, she would stop and cry and crouch down.  The first time she did it I cried my heart out, the fear in her eyes and her whimpering so deep just touched a part of my soul.  She was with me 9 precious years.  She still is.  Her picture is on the side of my computer still.
These hounds are the gifts of my lifetime, just as my children are.
Sending drool and love to all in need,
Jaime & Biscuit Pueblo, Colorado----any Droolers near Pueblo?
 "Life is wondrous like jumping onto a moving train.  Someday you have to get off, but enjoy the ride." Robin Williams  July 21, 1951 - August 11, 2014