[Dailydrool] Hip dysplasia in Bassets

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Aug 24 12:11:40 PDT 2015

Basset xrays are unlike anything a Vet unfamiliar with the breed has seen.
They all appear to have luxated patellas, hip dyplasia and god knows what
else.
Please find a Vet familiar with the breed before you are stampeded into
doing anything radical. I am not saying she doesn't have dysplasia.
Obviously this is well beyond my very limited scope. But in 30-40 years of
having Bassets I have learned that a Vet who knows the breed is as
necessary as the right food and the love you give.

I have had a Veterinarian at a major University Vet school tell me that my
puppy was "a mess". It was in his chart and they were speaking
orthopedically.

So venture forth with caution. Certainly you have to investigate to see why
she is having pain. Rule out neck and back and uneven bone growth as well
as pano before you leap for surgery. I have been through this.

MomPerson to Conley and Doc

bgszap2 at gmail.com