[Dailydrool] UTIs and unmentionables

Elizabeth via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Dec 4 05:35:14 PST 2015

> Last night, Clara looked me dead in the eye and peed on the rug. So, this morning we are off to the vet as that is one sure way for a little dog to tell me she has a UTI (well, that and all the puddles round the house that followed).

This was how our late Elsinore used to let me know she had a UTI. She never showed signs of pain, frequent urination, or visible blood in her urine, she just found the most inappropriate place possible to leave a puddle, made sure I was watching, and then squatted and did it.

We had some talks, she and I, about how if she were to just pee on the tile floor in our house while I was watching, that would do the trick, I would get her message. But she went for grand, dramatic gestures. I suspected she didn’t trust me to get anything more subtle than that.

Each time I’d take her to the vet at the earliest possible opportunity, and each time the vet would say her urinalysis was leaning toward a UTI but wasn’t definite yet, just above normal white blood cells but no actual blood. But Elsinore would get an antibiotic anyway, and that would do the trick. The vet decided Elsinore was just super sensitive to UTIs, able to detect and let me know about them before they had a chance to get full blown. Not quite the parlor trick one can trot out to perform for guests, but handy nonetheless, I suppose.

I hope Clara’s feeling better very soon. Young Charlie, who’s had a UTI himself, will send his sympathy as well as healing drool.

Elizabeth