[Dailydrool] Janie Anne

Bill Armstrong via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Dec 19 07:31:36 PST 2015

First off, Janie, Siobhan and I would like to thank everyone who wrote and all those who sent drool and prayers.
This may be long, please forgive me.
Thursday morning, I think it was, Janie woke me up by thrashing and pawing with her front left paw at the wall by her.  She always sleep with me.  I turned on the lights and saw that she looked confused and very uncomfortable, her eyes didn't look very focused.  Then I noticed that she had wet the bed and was laying in the pee, she has never done that before.
I moved her out of the wetness and she peed again as I moved her.  She didn't yell or growl or anything as I moved her so I didn't think there was anything wrong with her legs or spine.
I watched her while I petted her and tried to comfort her.  During this all she was breathing very heavily and looked totally confused and worried.
Shortly after she threw up everything in her stomach.
After I cleaned that up she started breathing easier.
I continued to watch her and try to comfort her.  By then it was almost 7 in the morning.  I have a condo and my bedroom is on the second floor and I knew I couldn't get her downstairs and into my car by myself.
I called Dr. Jeri's office to make sure she would be in, thankfully she would be.
I called our Friend Patty and she said she would be right over.
Somehow we managed to construct a sling for Janie to get down the stairs and into Patty's car.  We were met at Jeri's office where they had a stretcher and we go her into the treatment room.  Both Patty and I fell on the snow and ice, no problems, well sort of.
They put Janie on oxygen and took blood while I told them the story.
Jeri was on her way so they sent me home to await a phone call.

The call came and Jeri told me I did right by bring Janie to her and not an emergency vet.  Janie had all the signs of having had a stroke and the ER probably would have wanted to put her down.
Jeri has been our Vet for over 10 years and has had tons of Bassets of her own, so she definitely knows her business.
Turns out Janie experienced a malady that is fairly common with older dogs (she's 13 1/2), I can't remember the name but it idiopathic something.
She was given lots of medicine and tests including a EKG. They, of course kept her overnight.
Then yesterday I went in to see her and try to get her to eat something by hand.
She did eat some food from me, but she was very groggy from the medicines, especially the valium.
I spoke with Jeri and she said I could take her home!!!
Jeri said that being home would probably more relaxing to her, so off we went carrying meds and training pads
I had moved a bed downstairs so we could be together.
Janie had a good night last night and this morning she ate and drank and peed.  I moved her up to her favorite place up on the couch and she's sleeping off this mornings valium.
Jeri is very optimistic about Janie's condition.  She said in most cases like this it could clear up in a few days or a few weeks at the most.
So please keep the drool and prayers coming Janie way.
All in all. I got my Christmas present early, albeit, an expensive one.  Janie Anne is home and recovering!!!
Thank you all for your concern, I'll keep you updated.
Thankful woofs,
Bill, Siobhan and especially Janie Anne.
By the way, she is unable to walk right now, her equilibrium is way off, but that should clear up eventually.