[Dailydrool] Rusty ATB (Bloat)

lea pierce leapierce at leapierce.com
Tue Jan 6 15:51:20 PST 2015

​Houndservant's first basset, Sir Percival, died (probably) of bloat. We
found him the next day. Thought he had somehow gotten out of my fully
fenced yard (beagles had done it) and was lost... it was weird. Found him
halfway under one of the outbuildings, stiff.

Houndservant knew nothing of bloat. Percy was with the HMS Santa Rosa for 2
months, not long enough even to be commissioned.

"Someone once told me that if you love them enough to take good care of
them when they're healthy, then you gotta love them enough to make the
right decision for them when it's their time."

Yes. It's never a good decision. But Houndservant is convinced it is always
the right decision, because it is so difficult to make. None of us go
lightly into sending our hounds to the Bridge. It is our final act of love.

9 years is way too young. We shall look for Rusty's bright, shining spirit
when our Tour of Duty is over.

Houndservant