[Dailydrool] Poor, sickly Rolph

Sally King via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Jul 13 03:34:05 PDT 2015

The Basset Club barbecue is usually one of our favourite days of the year. We take the hounds for a long walk, then back to a beautiful home, with a walled garden for a barbecue, while the hounds romp round playing  - and in Rolph's case, stealing food.
The barbecue was yesterday, Sunday. On Saturday, Rolph didn't want his breakfast and them spent all day throwing up. I didn't give him dinner and I doubt he'd have eaten it, even if offered. He was clearly not well and all that night, he kept us awake pacing around.
We decided to go to the barbecue anyway, but that The Purveyor Of Unnecessary Treats would stay with him while I took Clara on the walk and he could just sit with us at the barbecue.
Once there, he saw all his friends and gamely insisted on going for the walk - even though we lagged at the back rather than leading the pack barking at the top of his voice. He definitely seemed a bit brighter.Back to the house, and he lay close by, looking sorry for himself, but after a while got up and went and played with his friends. This being England, the skies opened and humans and hounds scuttled to shelter - Rolph choosing a summer house where about ten people sat around a table.
I wasn't there to see this poor, sick hound leap up and clear a woman's plate of chicken, steak, a sausage and burger in one sweep. Luckily, as a hound owner, she thought it was funny. He was also given a steak by the chef who felt sorry for him!
Back home, he didn't want dinner and hasn't eaten breakfast this morning .... maybe he's holding out for steak!
Clara is mightily fed up she didn't get any steak even though she was a good girl.
Sally, with Pw Rolph OEBE and Clara, UK