[Dailydrool] Bassets and Dead Things

Rebecca Louisa Stanton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Jul 15 09:32:15 PDT 2015

I just *have* to respond to this, as it is a subject close to my heart;
well, Morse's heart, to be more accurate.   If it's dead, he loves
it.  Only recently there was a dead something at the back of the village
car park, a little fur was still remaining, and every night Morse had to
make his way there just for a quick roll, before I would haul him off as it
was becoming more stinky and decaying by the day.   If we walk up the road
and there is a squashed-by-a-car frog\mouse\vole\bird\whatever, with all
their bits sprawled on the road then Morse will wander up, have a little
sniff and then he does some swooning motions before he has a full-blown
roll in delight with legs in the air, all over it.  Sometimes the offerings
are baked to the road by the sunshine, and they must be rolled on too.  He
has at times peeled the baked frogs from the road and paraded off with
them, proudly, as if they were newly baked biscuits.  Once he dragged a
dead seagull (or half of it anyway) up from the quayside and grandly
presented it in the pub (where they were less than impressed).  So yes,
anything dead is wonderful to Morse, and I would hazard a guess that many
bassets would find dead\decaying objects similarly irresistible - its the
hound in them!

Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB