[Dailydrool] Those tasty dog treats

Pamela McQuade via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Jul 31 09:38:35 PDT 2015

Anita:

Be glad that all your hounds got was a box of treats. We once had a much
worse event with a bag of dog food.

Holly got into a brand-new, full bag of dog food that I had left in the
living room. I think I left it on a chair, figuring it would be beyond
her reach.

Well, you know what I came back to--two full hounds, Holly and
Belvedere, I think, and a bag that was missing lots of food. I'm not
sure if we only had two hounds at the time, but I know it was only the
two. Dex may have been here, but if so, the top two hounds in the pack
didn't let him anywhere near their fabulous find.

Holly had no adverse affects at all. But Bel stopped pooping and seemed
sluggish. Since the food had been in one of those metallic dog-food
bags, I was very concerned. I found most of the bag pieces on the floor,
but I wasn't sure if some more were lodged in a hound tummy. The next
day I ended up taking Bel to the ER, because of course this part
happened when my vet was closed, probably on a Sunday. After Xrays, the
vet decided to try some medication to see if it could get Bel to pass
the mound of food that was blocked into his tummy. I left with visions
of surgery in my best boy's future.

Thankfully, the medication worked, and those poops started up again in
volumes unlike anything I'd seen in a basset.

So be thankful your hounds' offense wasn't worse, Anita, because I
probably aged a few years over that basset badness!

Pam, food slave to all the Dashing Bassets, who have added many gray
hairs to their mama's head