[Dailydrool] WARNING!!

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Jun 10 13:22:31 PDT 2015

​No joke.

NotaBasset but a Black Dog. The heat will getcha. Let the boys out and
decided to change the sheets on my bed. The air is on so the windows are
closed and it was not easy to hear and I THOUGHT I was paying attention.
But as it happens, I was not.

And at some point I heard the dogs and realized that in the ninety degree
heat they were running the fence, all three and I charged out and Conley
immediately broke off and headed for the house and there stood my black,
long-hair Doc with his tongue literally to his knees and his sides pumping
like mad and he too headed for the house. As soon as I got all 3 in I took
Doc's temp and it was 107. Yes. You read that correctly--one hundred and
SEVEN degrees which is a whomping bad high temp.
So I threw him in the shower, grabbed some rubbing alcohol, and the phone
and began getting the temp down, concentrating on head, spine, belly, groin
and ears--where the fur is thinnest and the blood supply either large or
terribly important.
I used 3 bottles of rubbing alcohol and it took about 30 minutes with the
cool water before his temp came down to 104. At that point I stopped,
knowing it would continue to drop and not wanted to pull the rug out the
other way. And I called the Vet.

Doc is probably going to be ok. He has been to see Dr T who sent him home
to crate rest and a fan. Tomorrow he goes back for bloodwork to be sure I
didn't let him fry some major organ.

In a day or two my BP should be normal, I may have stopped shaking but I
will never ever stop blaming myself.
WATCH YOUR HOUNDS!

A very shaky MomPerson to Llewis, Conley and--thank you, Doc.