[Dailydrool] Insurance

K. Green via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Jun 26 16:23:39 PDT 2015

I currently do not have insurance on my two 9-year old basset hounds.
However, Cowboy was insured with VPI from age 2-7. It cost around
$33/month. He's been a healthy dog so we only made a few claims but it was
generally hassle free. I believe we got back around 70% of the cost for
most of the claims we submitted.

VPI refused to insure Rupert since he previously had a foreign object
removal surgery. VPI denied ensuring him stating that he was prone to
eating things. Duh! That's why I want to ensure him, I said. Regardless, I
was able to find another great insurance company by recommendation of a
fellow drooler, called PetCare Insurance. We opted to just get Ru the
emergency only coverage. It was around $10 a month. And it would cover any
emergencies such as car accident injuries, eating a foreign object to
needing surgery, ingesting poison, etcetera. It would not however cover
regular routine care or something such as cancer. They'd reimburse up to
$2,000 per incident and pee the person who referred me, they'd covered
several foreign object removal surgeries for the same hound with no hassle.
Lucky for us, Rupert stopped eating weird stuff and began only stealing our
dinners. We never did make a claim on that policy though we paid it for
about 5 years.

Ultimately now that they are both 9, we cancelled their insurance. We are
more financially secure than we were when they were younger, and at this
point we know that we would not go through tremendous measures to save them
should they come down with a horrible cancer. Anyway hope this is helpful
to you as you can search for a good insurance company for your dog. I feel
they can be good if you do not have a good savings account and you do not
want to be traumatized when a huge vet bill arises. However if your dog is
generally healthy and you don't go to the vet very often beside routine
care, you could probably just set aside the $50 a month you'd pay an
insurance and pretty quickly accumulate a nice little chunk of change for
emergencies.

Drool on,
Kacy with Cow and Ru