[Dailydrool] Allergy treatment

Dale Rutz via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue Mar 24 12:51:33 PDT 2015

Hi all, Dale here, We just went through a really bad month with Snoopy.  I guess it was allergies, but it could have been a result of being cleaned up after being soaked with urine while being knocked out at the vets.  I *think* they tried a dry shampoo to clean him up because I gave him a number of "rinse" baths (water only) and could smell product coming off of him.  Snoopy is clear now (finally) and completely off of meds.  At the worst he was in a cone to prevent chewing and taking benedryl (2 pills at a time) every 4 hours.  Here is what we did to help him: 1)  Benedryl every 4 hours (he can have up to 3, we usually try 1, if he isn't getting relief we'll go to 2 at a time, very rarely 3 at a time, we wean down as possible)2)  Gold bond maximum strength cream stops the itch COLD on his belly, boy parts, or any place the hair isn't so dense3)  For the tail, rump, haunch and anyplace the hair is too dense to get in there with cream we use this product (TrizCHLOR 4 Spray - Chlorhexidine 4 % - 8 oz.).  The vet recommended this years ago and it works SO WELL .... you spray it on using the pump spray until the area is wet and then brush it in REALLY well.  The dog LOVES this, it gives them 100% itch relief.  After I have done this for Snoopy a few times in a day the next time I get a washcloth soaked in warm water and use that to rub the area really well .... he also loves this.  This technique eliminates the need to shave him and for Snoopy has always resulted in the spot being completely healed up in a matter of a few days.4)  When he was at his worst we would either watch him like a hawk with a squirt bottle in hand to prevent chewing and scratching or else cone him when we couldn't watch him or stop him with a squirt bottle. Snoopy's skin in clear at present .... he hasn't needed a benedryl in over 24 hrs .... wish me luck and I hope this helps.  If you want any further details don't hesitate to contact me off list at dalerutz at sbcglobal.net Best,Dale