[Dailydrool] Basset names

Laura Salmon via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Mar 25 15:59:49 PDT 2015

Geoffrey came without a name from the all-breed rescue group sponsoring pet adoption day at Petco.  They said they referred to him as Bubba, but such a distinguished gentleman was most definitely NOT a Bubba.  It took us a day of trying out different English gentleman names (Alistair and Phillip were two early failures) until we landed on Geoffrey which suited him perfectly.  He was a big basset (68 pounds was his optimal weight) so we often called him Big Boy which evolved into Biggie Smalls a la the late rapper.  He deigned to answer to all of the above.

We rescued Molly from a lady dying of cancer who refused to go into hospice until all of her dogs were placed (Molly was the last to be placed and the only basset).  With all the changes and sadness in her life we didn't change her name.  But Molly moos when she's excited so we usually call her Moo-Moo, Moomerinerous, or Princess Moo.

Henry is our BROOD boy.  He bounced through 3 homes before he was 3 (ours was the fourth and final just before his third birthday) with AKC papers (from what I'm sure was a BYB -- they took him from his mother at 6 weeks and sent him to a pet store dooming him to be a neurotic (but much-loved) mess.  As far as I could see his name has always been Henry so we stuck with that.  But he's really a Boo-Boo.  He answers to Henry, Boo-Boo, Henny Penny Pudding Pie (kissed the girls and made them cry), and when he doesn't listen Henry Boo-Boo Salmon.  Laura (laurarsalmon at gmail.com)