[Dailydrool] On the naming of hounds

Pamela McQuade via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Mar 26 10:05:39 PDT 2015

I have a slightly different take on naming hounds. I believe that if
they stay long enough, they will tell you their names. That being said,
I have generally stuck with the names our adoptees came with of
something close to it, since they have had so much confusion before they
hit our home, and I hesitate to cause more.

Lady Jane, however, came to us as a puppy. My dad wanted to call her
Lady, the name of a dog from his youth. I added on the Jane because Lady
was such a common name. When a childhood friend of mine was getting a
bit above herself, her mom once called her Lady Jane. Don't tell me
bassets don't get above themselves too. It was the perfect name--Jane
ruled the house until she was twelve and bossy Holly knocked her off her
throne.

Belvedere came to us with his name, but I usually called him Bel or
Belvie. Since people often thought it was Belle and that he was a girl,
I often called him BelBoy. One day, when we were leaving the
BoardWaddle, someone came and offered to help move another person's
luggage. When he used the word "bellboy," my beautiful hound cutely
cocked his head, wondering why this invisible stranger on the second
floor was calling his name.

Alexis came with her name. I hated it and didn't think it fit, so I
tried calling her Grace instead. She would not answer to it, so she was
Alexis (or Lex) or Alexis Grace all the rest of her days.

Abner (probably named for Lil Abner, because he was so short) had the
perfect name when he came. But Drew always objected that he was not the
Abner of the Bible, who was a "mighty man of valor." Abs (or Abu Ahrooo)
was a huge coward. But that's probably because his back hurt all the
time.

Holly came to us with the name Olly Olly Oxen Free. I could not call her
Olly, which seemed more like a boy's name. On the way home, Drew and I
talked about it, and he suggested Holly. Since she is a sweet little old
lady, when she's not beating up on poor, blind Dexter, it seemed to suit
her. She accepted it graciously and in a moment, so I assume she
approved.

Dexter came with his name, which is not my favorite. If we'd had the
naming of him, he'd be called something else. But somehow the name suits
him, so it has stayed.

Sue Mason of Tri-State fostered Horton, who came into rescue with the
name Freckles. Since TSBHR had just had a Freckles in rescue, she
renamed him. Because I am an editor and book lover, I loved the name.
Horton seems to, too. Because he's so fearful, I say he often hears Whos
that we cannot hear (remember, those of you who have not had children
recently, that Horton Hears a Who). He's also called Horton the Very
Fearful.

Pam, food slave to all the Dashing Bassets