[Dailydrool] Getting new dogs to eat

Pam Farris via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Mar 26 13:30:41 PDT 2015

 Rescues get a lot of dogs in and many of them are scared and overwhelmed at first.  Although it is hard for us to believe - sometimes they are too overwhelmed to eat.  Unless a dog is emaciated, I do the following:  I find a nice, secure place to feed them so they don't have to worry about what the other dogs are doing.  I put the food down for 15 minutes.  I pick the bowl up and put away until the next meal.  I don't fuss over them or try to encourage them.  I just let them be. I have rarely had one that took more than a day to start eating.   If they are emaciated then it could be that their sense of hunger has shut down.  In these cases I cook up some ground turkey and feed them a bit every 30 minutes and then after they are eating that bit,  I increase it to two bits.  Basically you are "priming the hunger pump". Good luck!  Pam Farris  Basset Rescue of Florida, Inc.  www.BassetRescueFlorida.com