[Dailydrool] Glaucoma and collars

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu May 7 16:43:21 PDT 2015

My information (from  MEDICAL AND GENETIC ASPECTS OF PUREBRED DOGS as well
as a couple of internet sites) is that primary glaucoma is an inherited
condition and secondary Glaucoma is caused by some other disease condition.
Obviously if a dog has a predisposition to it, then dragging them around by
the neck is ill-advised. The problem with Bassets is finding something that
gives you a modicum of control without hurting the dog. (I have often
thought that a cattle prod would work.)(Just joking. I am just joking.)
Some breeds are more prone to inherit this defect than others, and Bassets
are right up there near the top of the list. Despite my misgivings about
them, perhaps a Halti is a good choice.
(I use martingale collars--wide nylon ones.)

MomPerson to Llewis, Conley and Doc