[Dailydrool] Possible snake bite?

Julie Canny via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon May 18 17:59:42 PDT 2015

We went away for the weekend to celebrate my son's MBA graduation.
Saturday morning the dog sitter, a gem btw, called to tell me that
Gallagher's eye was swollen shut, but that she was able to use compresses
to get the swelling down.  I called the vet and we opted to have him in
when we got home today.  Poor boy, the right side of his face was swollen.
He could see, was as hungry as ever and otherwise himself.  The vet checked
his eye to make sure it was OK and ruled out a dental issue.  Then she gave
him a steroid and some topical antibiotics.  The swelling is already down.
They think the most likely cause is a snake bite.  Gallagher is not a brave
boy and I can't imagine him going up to a snake, but if it surprised him??
Any other possible causes??  It's bad enough when these things happen when
you are home, being away was scary.  I'm very glad I have a great dog
sitter!