[Dailydrool] Treats

Jennifer Martin via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu May 28 05:39:06 PDT 2015

Hey everyone! Remember how I told you the mom got off her duff and finally
made some homemade treats--Banana Pumpkin brownies? Well here is the deal,
while they were still warm (but not hot) she cut us some and let us eat
them. They were very yummy and a respectable sized treat. Then she decided
that she cut them too big for a rgular treat. So she chilled them so she
could cut them up smaller! She cut the size we got before into 4 treats! Is
there some law that governs the size treat we are supposed to get? I think
she is breaking it. I don't want her jailed or anything. Afterall, the dad
isn't going to make homemade treats, but I want her to be threatened with a
fine for not complying.

Jennifer here. I am going to use this opportunity to give a brief tutorial
on treats. Some of you may know I have a degree in animal science and a
minor in nutrition. On top of that I am fascinated by dog nutrition and
read everything I can get my hands on about the subject. If you go to
dogfoodadvisor.com there is a section where you can figure out how many
calories your dog is supposed to be eating per day. Keep in mind that this
is no more set in stone than our calorie requirements. Different factors
can change this. You can look on your bag of dog food, go to their website,
or call customer service to find out how many calories are in a cup of dog
food. Here is the clincher: your dog should only be eating 10% of his or
her calories in the form of treats. This is why my treat size is so small
unless it is veggies or fruit. Just like us, they can eat a lot of those!
Do your basset a favor and if possible, keep the weight down. It really
helps those little short legs and backs. By the way, if your dog is very
sick or very old or both, all this goes out the window. Llewis can eat
whatever Bev can get him to eat. At this point if she can get him to eat DQ
ice cream, that is fine by me! On the few occasions that I could get a dog
to eat on the day they were crossing over the bridge, they have pigged out
on all kinds of things they loved, that I normally wouldn't let them eat.
That is different. I have three dogs between 3-6. Yeah, they have allergies
and Beauford has severe hip dysplasia (according to the xrays, not his
behavior). There is no reason they can't be fit and trim and eat the food I
have picked out for them. And they do. I will say if they don't eat, I will
be calling the vet in a hysterical state because I have worked hard on
getting them to accept different flavors and textures and as a result they
always eat.

End of soapbox.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess (as you can
see, we have failed on food training the momma slave)